HISTORY OF 76 EAST STREET
Constructed in 1899 – First United States Consulate and Customs House
That little block building at the corner of East and Gouin Streets which now displays the sign above its entrance as “East Street Pizza Company” has had a varied and distinguished history.
In 1856, the pie shaped, four acre parcel of Crown Lan, part of the Gouin Subdivision south of Queen Street and east of East Street was purchased by George Johnston and subdivided and sold as lots over the years to: Samuel Whitney, George Desbarats, James A. Gouin, Francis Clemore, Chas McColl, Uriah McFadden and Joachim Biron.
In 1899, Uriah McFadden sold the apex of that triangular piece of land to George W. Shotts for $400. There, a stone block building was constructed to be used as the United States Customs House and Consulate. From 1901 to 1927 George W. Shotts U.S. Consul and Commercial Agent worked and resided in that small structure.
The 1901 telephone book lists its location as SE East 1s Queen. The civic address of 76 East Street wasn’t designated until 1910. This is the original building as the site has been in nearly continuous occupancy since 1901.
In 1927 the Consulate was discontinued and it was used for varied purposes.
1927 TO 1928
It was the home of Clifford Marshall who worked as a lineman for the Bell Telephone Company.
1928 TO 1930
It served as a base for a taxi service and the home of Earl J. McEwan.
1930 TO 1934
Collins Tire and Battery Service occupied the building.
1935 TO 1936
It continued its garage use as the Sault Service Station owned by Albert D. Nott. He resided on St. Thomas Street only a short walk down the lane.
1936 TO 1937
With little change, Darcy Best Reality Company & Packard Sales & Service took over the building.
1938 TO 1939
Renovated for its first use as a restaurant and home location by Albert Antafy who served the public home cooked meals.
1939 TO 1941
Mrs. Karterine Spreng ran the restaurant and lived there with her husband Gerald who worked for Greenwood Electric.
1942 TO 1944
It completed its life as a restaurant and was renovated to be the home of Victor and Margaret Hewett. Victor worked as a waiter for the American Hotel.
1944 TO 1954
Robert (Bob) and Elsie Metcalfe purchased the shop having worked as a vulcanizer for Collins’ Brothers and as a mechanic for Ray Brothers.
1955 TO 1986
Sykes and McCullough Ltd. Real Estate Insurance and Doug Sykes Insurance and Real Estate Inc. established their offices there.
1986 TO 1989
It was sold to Aurora Butkovich and Cecilia Mihelic and was designated as Mrs. B’s.
1989 TO 2018
Chris Soltys took over ownership of Mrs B’s.
2019 TO CURRENT
Jane McGoldrick took over ownership and the shop proudly bears the designation of East Street Pizza Company